Are you eligible for a green card through a relative?

You may qualify for a green card though relatives if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • immediate relative of a U.S. citizen

  • preference relative of a U.S. citizen or green card holder, or

  • accompanying relative of someone in a preference category.

See further below to find out if you qualify as any of the above categories.

Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing

U.S. immigration law provides an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status: (1) Adjustment of status and (2) Consular processing.
“Adjustment of Status” is the process by which an eligible individual already in the United States can get permanent resident status (a green card) without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing.
“Consular Processing” is an alternate process for an individual outside the United States (or who is in the United States but is ineligible to adjust status) to obtain a visa abroad and enter the United States as a permanent resident).
Are you eligible to adjust status in the United States?
U.S. immigration law permits the change of your immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if:
  • you were inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States; and
  • able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category.